Over MVR 60 million ($3.9 million) paid out in advances to contractors was lost on healthcare projects that never got built under the previous administration, Health Minister Geela Ali told the Majlis on Monday. To stop further money going down the drain, the government has axed 16 contracts with companies that failed to deliver.
“We’ve had to cancel a lot of health projects,” Minister Geela said while taking questions from members about delays to medical sites across the islands. “Over 60 million Rufiyaa went to waste by handing these jobs to different parties. We’re now taking legal action to get that money back and deal with the paperwork.”
One example raised was the new hospital in Ihavandhoo. The contractor took the advance money, but not a single stone was laid before the contract was ripped up last March. The extension for the Kelaa Health Centre was also scrapped after local MPs pointed out the contract had been handed out at hugely inflated prices.
Policy Shift and Budget Security
The government under President Dr Mohamed Muizzu says it won’t kick off any more building work until the cash is fully secured in the budget. Current efforts are focused on doing up existing island health centres and opening regional diagnostic labs.
Minister Geela also touched on the sheer number of foreign staff running the health service. Expatriates make up 60 per cent of all doctors in the country. Of the roughly 12,000 people working in healthcare nationwide, more than 3,400 are foreigners. About 7,000 health workers are based out in the atolls, while 5,000 work in Malé.
The plan now is to get more locals into these jobs by expanding courses at the Maldives National University. Under new Home Ministry rules, the government wants to phase out quotas for foreign nurses completely over the next three years.
Regional Infrastructure Updates
Giving updates on specific islands, Geela mentioned that foundation work is already underway for a new 30-bed hospital in Gaafu Dhaalu Gadhdhoo. Handled by MTCC, the site should be finished by September next year. Dialysis, along with new children’s and women’s health services, are due to open on the island later this year.