Solih Tells Nasheed to Step Aside as MDP Chairperson Race Heats Up

21 May, 2026
1 min read

MALE’ — Former President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has publicly called on former President Mohamed Nasheed to withdraw from the MDP chairperson election scheduled for 12 June, saying it is time for the party to hand leadership to a new generation.

Speaking at a campaign rally for candidate Meekail Ahmed Naseem, 32, in L. Hinnavaru, Solih said he was not dismissing Nasheed’s contribution to the party. “I am not insulting President Nasheed in any way. I am not disapproving of the work he has done,” he said. But he was clear about his position. This election, he said, is not one Nasheed should contest.

Solih argued that with youth participation in party politics growing, failing to transfer MDP leadership to a younger generation would cost an entire cohort the opportunity to lead. He said he did not want the MDP to repeat the pattern seen in parties that allowed the same figures to dominate for decades. “I don’t want the MDP to face the problems caused by 30 years of the same leadership,” he said.

He also framed it in terms of the current political moment. Nasheed, Solih and former President Abdulla Yameen have formed the United Democratic Front to challenge the Muizzu government. Solih said that work demands the full attention of all three. “I believe this is not an election for President Nasheed to contest. This is the time for him to continue with us in the United Democratic Front to reform the country and continue the work that we three presidents started,” he said.

The MDP turns 21 next month. Solih said he wanted to mark that milestone by seeing the party’s founding generation, its two elected presidents, former speakers, deputy speakers and past chairpersons, gather together and formally hand the party over to new leadership. “What kind of proud party will you be seen as on that day?” he said.

Solih praised Meekail’s manifesto and said he was capable of running a presidential primary within the party without interference. He acknowledged that Nasheed was the MDP’s founding chairperson and one of its most senior figures and said he was proud the party had younger candidates willing to contest against someone of that standing.

Nasheed is contesting the chairperson election. Solih, sitting beside him at their joint press conference earlier this month, publicly backed Meekail Ahmed Naseem. The tension between the two men within the three-president alliance was visible then. In Hinnavaru on Tuesday, Solih made his position formal.

Don't Miss

Audit Finds Landlord Scheme Failed Its Purpose as HDC Loses MVR 15 Billion in Free Land

MALE’ — An audit by the Auditor General’s Office has found that

Ministry Blames New Male’ Council for Wet Market Delay. The Timeline Tells a Different Story.

MALE — The Ministry of Housing has publicly called out the Male’